Remembering Prof. Walker

A good friend and professor of mine, Professor J Michael Walker, passed away recently. He died in his apartment of either a stroke or heart attack. He was only 57 years old and we are all going to miss him dearly. He was the Chair of the Program in Neuroscience and the Gill Center Chair of Neuroscience. He was very passionate about his research and cared deeply about his students and teaching. I really enjoyed taking his seminar class on pain last Spring and we had many conversations in his office. We disscussed science and research most of the time, but he also always asked about my health and my family. He studied chronic pain and had a better understanding of how difficult it is to live with chronic pain because of his research and past relationships with family and friends dealing with pain. He knew that I have really struggled to get to where I am today and he appreciated my stubborness. I will never forget his benevolence and the encouragement he gave as I have pursued my Ph.D. We have lost a remarkable researcher, colleague and friend.
Labels: death, neuroscience, pain


5 Comments:
My sincere condolences. I'm sorry for your loss, Jen :(
I am sorry about the loss of your friend. He will always be here in your heart. I have heard a monk say that when someone dies--they simply become "everywhere" and are never gone.
I also thank you for posting. I want to introduce myself--my name is Kelly. I am near your age--and apparently a neighbor, given I live in Ky. I decided to post because so much of what you wrote in your blog is similar.
I am also a virgo, mother of two toddlers, Buddhist and LOVE most of the artists you mentioned.
I also have just been diagnosed with Dystonia. I was having a difficult day today--feeling sorry for myself, off from work (which rarely happens) with too much time on my hands to think.
I came across your blog and was comforted knowing that there is another who is experiencing some of what I am experiencing.
Also I admire your motivation--working toward your degree, being a mom, not giving up. I feel too afraid to move at this moment--not knowing what is coming next.
Anyway, good for you.
Since you are intereted in Buddhism--I am reading, "The Places that Scare you", by Pema Chodron--good stuff.
Write back if you like.
All the best to you-
Kelly
Kellro36@insightbb.com
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I wanted to ask you with your gparesis and tpn infections have they considered doing a transplant (multivisceral) or would your dystonia not make you a viable candidate. I pray that you will feel better each and every day. I also have the paresis and it's horrible I'm on tpn too.
D
*hugs* hon,
I'm so sorry hon. It sounds like he brought a lot of inspiration into your life. &loosing someone who you admire and who inspires you can be one of the hardest loss to handle.
I've been trying to submit this link to you for several weeks. Its a podcast called Brain Science Podcast with Dr. Ginger Campbell(@http://brainsciencepodcast.com/). She reminds me very much of you &I know you'll love her podcast; even if its just in the 'background'.
I'm sorry that I'm not in contact with you more but I know you're hella busy... &believe it or not so am, I feel over-whelmed &I'm loving it. I've finally gotten most of life w/GD's logistics taken care of. Mainly I'm just not letting it take all of my focus any more.
I've got several *uber cool* projects that I'm working on & || am involved in. I'm on twitter(@http://twitter.com/uberChick. I'm just gonna leave things here I've got a busy day &night full of blogging, podcast recording, &programming ahead of me.
BTW, when you get a chance email me, or pretty pretty please give me a call. I have a small audio awareness project that I'm working on &at the very least I really do need your input on @least one part.
*Hugs* again &though I'm sure you're being strong &that you're surrounded by support. Well hell I don't have to say it, you know it, I'm here for you. Anytime anything you need.
I hope that you'e doing as best you can be &letting yourself grief. Which I know how hard that can be. Though I'm sure that you're doing your best to take care of yourself.
*Wishing nothing but the best* &*Hoping to here from you soon*.
*Hugs* &Take care.
Came across your blog from googling dystonic reactions... I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, and so sorry for all you had to endure.
I just wanted to wish you well on your endeavors of research and all you have had to endure due to misdiagnosis. I continue to volunteer to support women who suffer from Hyperemsis (which I had also) and so much of what you have gone thru (and the meds, disdainful treatment, TPN, etc) are too familiar, albeit for a period confined to pregnancy and not a long term illness.
I'm very impressed for your drive, determination, and compassion to help others. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment
<< Home