Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pain

My biggest problem lately has been pain. I have chronic abdominal pain, pain at my g-tube site and dystonia pain because of the constant muscle spasms. I took Ultram for a short period and found that it aggravated the dystonia and caused the spasms in my back to get more severe. I started back on Darvocet which works Ok but just is not strong enough for the stomach pain. Last night I tried the Lortab again. It really helps the pain, but it makes me woozy and knocks me out. It is not a good option for school but I feel like I don't have a choice on some days. Pain can be so frustrating especially as a student. I am hanging in here and seem to be managing in spite of the pain. I will get by as I always do, but right now each day is a struggle for me.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger LaNell said...

I had extremely painful, twisting torticollis version of dystonia...but have not had a symptom since taking three doses daily totalling 1,500 mg of Neurontin/Gabapentin for the past 11 years. Hope you try this and it works for you.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Meeeee said...

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Unfortunately. Maybe not the exact same kind of pain, but I know how difficult it is to have added dystonia pain when you're already suffering from something else. It is really incredible how you always seem to see the positive side (at least I get that impression from reading your blog) and how you keep fighting. I think I (and many others) could learn a thing or two from you when it comes to that :) Nonetheless, sorry to read you're in such pain :( I hope you see improvement soon!!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Synaptic Jen said...

Thanks for your replies. I have not tried neurontin due to the possibility of fairly nasty side effects. I will have to ask my neuro what she thinks of this drug. Baclofen works pretty well for me right now. I also take valium and artane for the dystonia.

Yes, the pain is difficult. I am doing quite a bit better surviving with it now that I am taking the lortab again. I also can take oxycodone for breakthrough pain. It is not feasible at school because I get really wiped out from it, but sometimes I just don't have a choice. I struggle to maintain my positive attitude, but I work very hard to stay that way because if I get angry or depressed about all this it just seems to make it worse.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger LaNell said...

Hmmm...possibly you have Neurontin confused with something else~?? The only effect it has had on me and others I know that have taken it for years and years, is relief from what was causing the pain. Oh, and one complained it worked wonderfully, but made her a little sleepy. I told her to drink a cup of coffee to offset that.

The other Rxs you are taking are far riskier than Neurontin. But, if you want to take them together, I seriously doubt there would be a drug interaction...just that you might not need the artane. And the baclofen, I quit that totally myself. Too, you might not need the others. I occassionally do take clonazapam, a cousin to Vallium.

I went from near suicidal, crippling agony to total relief. A near miracle. And I had tried, without success and some horrible episodes, other medications.
Neurontin/gabapentin is IT for me. I would not want anyone to pass by trying it.

Nasty side affects?? What are they?

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Sparky said...

Hi Jen!
I have just added your Blog to our own new Dystonia group site [http://www.webjam.com/dystonia_support_ct ]. I picked up on your pain post immediately as it has been a huge challenge for me as well. I use many professionals in my treatment team, including two movement disorder neurologists and a pain management group. The PM team has been most successful in treating chronic pain, unconventional as it might be. I, like you, have the GI spasms in addition to cranialcervical and have combined Methadone and Donnatol with remarkable results. I'm on very low doses of each and urge you to look into them as a possible consideration. I know your situation is most exceptional but so is this cocktail.
Cheers!
Sparky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home