Back on Baclofen
Baclofen is a GABAB receptor agonist that works at the spinal level and crosses the blood brain barrier to affect the brain. Dystonia results from dysfunction in circuitry of the basal ganglia, a group of sub-cortical brain structures that are responsible for regulating motor control. The basal ganglia are also regulate cognitive, emotional and motivational information and integrate these processes with motor output to produce appropriate actions. Many of the nerve projections from various structures of basal ganglia use gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), the major inhibitory neurotransmitter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA Baclofen acts like GABA, increasing activity of the GABAB receptor to enhance inhibitory activity on target structures throughout the brain. It is one of the only drugs that I have taken for dystonia that significantly improves my symptoms without causing intolerable side effects.
So, I am back on the Baclofen and hoping that I can tolerate it as I have in the past. I will have to increase the dose over time to continue getting effective reduction in dystonic symptoms, but since I have been off of it for so long, I think it will take a while to build up tolerance again. Before I got pregnant I was taking 80mg/day which is a pretty high doseage. Right now I am starting at 10mg/day and will work up to 30mg/day over a month or so and then maintain that as long as I can before I build up a tolerance. I hate taking medications as I fear that they are damaging my brain in some way, just as the neuroleptics caused my dystonia. Baclofen also has some cognitive side effects and causes fatigue which makes graduate school a bit more challenging than it already is. However, when you live every day with dystonia, you know that it can make life difficult to live at all. Medications are a compromise I have to choose in order to live a functional, productive life with dystonia. These are not easy choices to make, but hopefully will help alleviate some suffering so that I can better contribute what I have to offer to the world.
The picture is of my son (16 months old) contemplating the beauty and wonder of jellyfish at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/ The photo was taken by my husband while I was at the Society for Neuroscience (SFN) annual meeting.


2 Comments:
Hello Jenn, I came across your blog from this blog http://dystoniadiary.blogspot.com/ (she and I have been commenting on each others journals for awhile now. Mine is here http://rjpayomo.blogspot.com/
I just wanted to say that I was very impressed with your study of neuroscience and the basal ganglia, as many of us with dystonia are well versed. I am glad that you've taken the next step to do something about it and are pursuing an education in it. I often feel a lot of us feel isolated enough because most people including our doctors do not understand how it is to live with it.
I just wanted to say 'Thank You' and for the sake of everyone one of us, "I wish you success".
Cheers.
Hi Rijah,
I have been reading your blog too. It sounds like dystonia has been quite a challenge in your life as I it is for many of us. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.
Regarding neuroscience and such...I really enjoy it and am happy to have chosen this road. It is a field that is really on the cutting edge and keeps my mind busy. Many days I miss working with people as I did during my graduate work for my Masters degree. I think I would like to get back into clinical work at some point to make a more direct impact on helping improve quality of life of people with movement disorders.
It is true that others don't really understand dystonia. I think that it sometimes helps me to have this perspective as I do my research. I have a more direct way of thinking about dystonia and brain function from my personal experiences. I hope that my perspective will help advance the research more profoundly some day.
Thanks for your note and I wish you much success as well.
Take care,
Jen
Post a Comment
<< Home